Tuesday, June 4, 2013

A Change of Plans Book Review

My amazing author friend, Donna K. Weaver, just released her debut novel, A Change of Plans, and I was lucky enough to read and review it! Check it out!

About A Change of Plans:
When twenty-five-year-old Lyn sets off on her cruise vacation, all she wants is to forget that her dead fiancé was a cheating scumbag. What she plans is a diversion uncomplicated by romance. What she gets is Braedon, an intriguing young surgeon. He's everything her fiancé wasn't, and against the backdrop of the ship's make-believe world, her emotions come alive.
Unaware of the sensitive waters he navigates, Braedon moves to take their relationship beyond friendship—on the very anniversary Lyn came on the cruise to forget. Lyn's painful memories are too powerful, and she runs off in a panic.
But it's hard to get away from someone when you're stuck on the same ship. Things are bad enough when the pair finds themselves on one of the cruise's snorkeling excursions. Then paradise turns to piracy when their party is kidnapped, and Lyn's fear of a fairy tale turns grim.
Title: A Change of Plans
Author: Donna K. Weaver
Release Date: June 1, 2013
Pages: 327
 Find it: Amazon | B&N | Goodreads | Rhemalda Store
Genre: New Adult Contemporary 

My Review:
Let me start off by saying I am a fantasy girl. Contemporary romance isn't my genre, but I love Donna and had to read her book. I expected to like it because she wrote it. But a few sentences in and I was hooked. I loved it, and not because my good friend wrote it.

There is a lot of emotion in this book - pain, healing, hope, despair. I don't cry, hardly ever, but I was bawling through a lot of this. The main character, Lyn, is hurting after her fiance broke her heart -- after death, so she never even got any closure. Braedon is adorable, and they have a connection right off that left me swooning. But she pushes him away. I wanted to throttle her, but at the same time, I understood. I've been hurt before and Donna drew her emotion out so well that I could completely empathize with Lyn.

Then, they get kidnapped by pirates, and eventually end up stranded on an island. This was my favorite part of the story. I loved the way their relationship grew and they were able to let go of the pain from their pasts. I can't tell you the rest because of spoilers, but holy hannah I had to read the whole last section in one sitting because I couldn't move away from the computer.

I suggest you pick this book up immediately, and find a quiet corner to curl up in and read for the next several hours. You won't regret it!

 About Donna


Donna K. Weaver is a Navy brat who joined the Army and has lived in Asia and Europe. Because she sailed the Pacific three times as a child, she loves cruising and wishes she could accrue enough vacation time to do more of it with her husband. Donna and her husband have six children and eight grandchildren who live all over the world. At fifty, Donna decided to study karate and earned her black belt in Shorei Kempo. After recording city council minutes for twenty years, Donna decided to write something a little longer and with a lot more emotion--and kissing.

And Enter to win!
 

Check out the other stops on the tour!
 

3 comments:

  1. Wendy, thank you so much for your review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! Thanks so much for posting. You rock.

    A

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to read this! It sounds like a great read.

    ReplyDelete