Monday, April 8, 2013

A-Z Challange: G Day!

Clearly, I don't know my alphabet. In case you are wondering, the letter G comes after F. E actually comes before F.

SIGH

Let's start over. Today is G day!
So G is for...Grammar! English has always been my favorite subject. I majored in English. I worked for a publishing company for four years. Do I know my grammar?

Umm. No.

I SUCK at grammar. I've had the rules drilled into my head for YEARS and I still suck. I just can't remember them all. Writing important emails...or just commenting on someone's post on Facebook cause me to have minor panic attacks.

But I still wrote a novel. Four, in fact! The way I survived? I have awesome critique groups. And awesome beta readers. So that by the time my novel got to my editors, they didn't want to strangle me slowly. Were they perfect by then? No. That's why we have editors, because they're brilliant and I am not.

My point is, we all have weaknesses. Don't let them stop you from chasing your dreams!

10 comments:

  1. Yay! What an encouraging post. I just finished my first novel and I know it is full of grammatical errors. Thanks for sharing.
    Simply Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I relate to this post a lot. I have flirted with the idea of trying to write a novel but, I always let my fear of grammar stop me.
    Shawn at Laughing at Life 2

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there. Yes, grammar is SO much fun. Not! I have three books on grammar in addition to The Elements of Style. I don't need them often, but when I do, I really do.

    Happy A to Z!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you! If I owned a book on grammar, I'd be flipping through it...always ;)

      Delete
  4. Exactly! If we're not strong in one particular area, we can surround ourselves with people who are. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't necessarily remember all the grammatical rules - I think it's actually more embedded in my psyche than anything. When it comes to where to put commas, apostrophes, etc., I just seem to know. But I can't tell you all the names of types of words, methods of sentence structure, etc. I just know without knowing the names of everything.

    ReplyDelete